Monday 22 August 2011

Summary of Progress so far Week 10

It's hard to believe we're up to thing 18 already - life is happening so fast.

I think it's all become a bit confusing because I'm reading so much now. For example the Cam23 Things does not include mentoring, but CPD23 Things does. I am now not sure what I'm supposed to be following or doing, but even so, writing about all this has helped steam some of the confusion :-) I am now following so many blogs, that after my holiday the total of unread blogs was over 400. This week has been spent unsubscribing to many of these so it's all a bit more manageable.

Mentoring was something I was able to take advantage of as part of the ILM qualification I was working on. It was great to be able to talk to someone outside of the hurly burly of the Library, but who still understood the mechanistics of the University. I am thinking about asking another member of the University to mentor me to help with the people management side of my role. Professional mentoring would be great, but I'll have to improve my networking skills to find someone who's not too far away and who has the time and skills to help.

Doing these things has opened my mind to the library sector as a whole. I sometimes contribute to posts on LinkedIn as these are emailed and easy to read as a summary. However, Facebook has stayed as a social tool, and I still haven't made time to regularly connect with Twitter. not sure if the hours I work have something to do with this, or that fact that when I leave work I don't want to be looking at the phone for tweets (even if my phone was clever enough for that sort of thing!)

Apart from LinkedIn, I have signed up for Evernote, used Google Docs, and will get into saving bookmarks. I'm the type of computer user that likes multiple tabs and will save them for ages until they're completed. Evernote and Delicious will probably help with this which will be good and save some processing power on my PC. Thanks to all those who have taken the time to put together all the instructions for the Things.

No comments: