Monday 11 July 2011

Reflective Practice

The blocks of time dedicated to reflective practice are one of the things that attracted me to doing these 23 things. This is the first of the reflective practice sessions - an opportunity to plan -> do -> review (very familiar to me in IiP land) or the preferred phraseology; What -> so what -> now what.

So far I have found RSS feeds to be invaluable, pushnote to be forgettable, and twitter I'm still ambivalent about. The advantage of Exeter University is that I can access my calendar from any PC, so have not been swayed by google calendar. Outlook scheduling assistant (something that people who use outlook don't seem to be clued into) is better than doodle, but I can see the advantages. It's been good to read about what others in this profession are up to, but I'm disappointed that this part of the country (South West) is not very well represented in the 700 or so participants of the 23 things. Perhaps I will find I'm wrong about that in thing 7, and this will naturally follow into advocacy and getting involved.

It has definitely been worth getting into this so far, hopefully all the other members are taking useful things away too.

2 comments:

libchris said...

I must admit I don't use Google Calendar much for work - but find it invaluable for the family - with my husband and kids various hobbies it enables us to work out when we will be free (or will need to be the taxi service!). Not tried exchange scheduling yet - does it work if the people you are inviting don't use exchange?

Rachel Dawson said...

I don't think the scheduling assistant works unless the people you are inviting are in the same network. Thanks for pointing that out.