Monday 25 July 2011

This focus on Networking has made me think a bit harder about my career and other professionals around the globe. I am certainly supportive of networking as a goal, but have not taken it up professionally until last week. I have now joined with groups on linked in, and the LIS Network, but am debating the value of joining Professional Organisations. Colleagues I know don't always have the time to read the literature that they have paid for. If anyone has any input about the dilemma between the cost and value of such memberships I would be keen to hear from you.

2 comments:

Lotusflower said...

I subscribed to the Library Association (now CILIP) for a few years at the beginning of my career. I must confess that I never used the services, and barely read the literature that was sent, and so stopped. There was a definite bias, it seemed to me, to certain sorts of librarianship, which did not include mine. Each time the subscription renewal arrived, I seemed to be in a more expensive bracket, and the subs seemed quite a lot higher than some equivalent organisations.

Rachel Dawson said...

Thank you - good to know I'm not alone :-)